Policy-supporting activities for development of the industry
Supporting policies to develop new drugs
- Actively promoting policies to foster and support the development of new drugs
- Holding events (including KPAC) to introduce advanced trends and to strengthen international cooperation
- Supporting R&D in combined with academia and industry, including the drug technical advisory board
Enhancing quality and safety of pharmaceutical products
- Supporting efforts to improve quality and safety of distributed medicines in Korea
- Carrying out ongoing training to ensure quality and safety of medicinal product, reflecting up-to-date information
Developing policies that promote the development of the industry
- Coordinating overall cooperation between industry-academy-government and proposing the role of partners and policies
Improving systems to control pharmaceutical costs
- Participating in councils for the pharmaceutical pricing system & drug insurance benefit reimbursement system
- Reflecting the values of R&D investment outcomes (new drugs, IMDs, biomedicines, etc.)
- Identifying insurance-related regulations that prevent sound corporate activities, and suggest improvements
- Publishing quarterly policy report of the association (KPBMA Brief)
Education and Support for Member Companies
Holding policy briefing sessions and seminars
- Frequently holding policy briefing sessions to address changes in the pharmaceutical business environment
Training a professional workforce
- Conducting off-line training for managers in the manufacturing (importation) and GMP sector
- Conducting on-line training on the MR and Code of Fair Competition
- Administering MR certification test
Holding GMP workshops in collaboration with the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS)
- Holding GMP workshops (jointly with MFDS)
Providing information service on pharmaceutical products
- Publishing an annual drug production performance chart & carrying out research services on pharmaceutical policies on a regular basis
International Exchange and Cooperation
Cooperation with IFPMA & WSMI
- Participating in IFPMA & making exchange with international associations and organizations as a board member
- Working toward boosting the OTC market and inter-governmental regulatory harmonization as a board member of WSMI and APSMI
Participation in APAC activities
- Working toward building a cluster for the Asian region to develop new drugs,
and harmonizing regulations
and obtaining approval to expand the market at the APAC region
Exchange with international pharmaceutical organizations
- Holding annual joint seminars with JPMA & CPIA(Japan and China) and supporting the overseas expansion of Korea’s pharmaceutical industry to the global market
via continuous organizational exchanges
- Concluding MOUs and exchanging cooperation with pharmaceutical associations overseas
(more than 16 cases of MOU with national-based pharmaceutical associations) and endless efforts to further global networks
Supporting expansion to overseas markets
- Participating in healthcare cooperation missions to pioneer markets in Latin America, the Middle East, the ASEAN region and etc.
- Holding seminars and policy briefing sessions to support expansion to the global market
- Distributing an English directory of the KPBMA member companies to persons concerned with the pharmaceutical industry overseas
Operating AHC secretariat
- Inviting and operating the AHC, designated under the APEC since 2013
- Managing international network of regulators of each country and holding international workshops
Establishment of Ethical Management
Principles on Business Ethics of Korea Pharmaceutical and Bio-Pharma Manufacturers Association
- The mission of pharmaceutical companies is to contribute to the improvement of the quality of life for all citizens and mankind by developing safe and high-quality pharmaceuticals based on the spirit of respect for life. In order to accomplish this mission, pharmaceutical companies should seek sustainable growth and development while simultaneously fulfilling their responsibilities as exemplary members of society. Accordingly, the Korea Pharmaceutical and Bio-Pharma Manufacturers Association (the “KPBMA”) and its member companies adopt these Principles on Business Ethics with the realization of corporate social value and cultivation of a sense of ethics as their number one priority and pledge to proactively practice its principles.
- First, we fully recognize the mission of pharmaceutical companies and shall exert our best efforts to develop pharmaceuticals that are superior in efficacy and highly safe through active investment in research and development.
- Second, we shall be committed to the stable production and supply of pharmaceuticals necessary for national healthcare and establish a production system which complies with international standards.
- Third, we shall eliminate all unlawful and improper transactions from the distribution of pharmaceuticals in order to establish fair competition and transparent distribution order demanded by society, and also, with regard to collaborative relationships with healthcare professionals, we shall maintain and develop such relationships based on a high sense of ethics and transparency.
- Fourth, we shall provide all information on pharmaceuticals in an accurate manner based on scientific grounds in recognition of the fact that information on pharmaceuticals is used at medical sites where human lives are at stake and as instructions for patients, and we shall exert efforts to prevent the distortion or misunderstanding of delivered information for the safe use of pharmaceuticals by consumers.
- Fifth, we shall pursue various clinical trials and research to develop and improve pharmaceuticals for the purpose of preventing and curing diseases, and we shall respect the human rights of clinical trial and research participants.
- Sixth, we shall not only comply with the laws and regulations of the Republic of Korea and abroad applicable to the pharmaceutical industry, but also respect common values of humanity such as anti-corruption, human rights, the environment, etc., and relevant treaties, declarations and norms.
- Seventh, we shall exert efforts to live up to the social responsibility imposed on pharmaceutical companies and actively perform social contribution activities as part of such efforts.
Revised on July 23, 2014
Established on Nov 30, 1992
Fulfillment of social contribution and social responsibility
Engaging in activities of donation and support
- Providing medicines at disaster sites free of charge, both domestically and overseas, and to the underprivileged
- Providing scholarships for low-income families and the children of single parents
- Carrying out joint projects with the Social Contribution Committee of Health and Pharmaceutical Organizations
- Working on a nation-wide campaign for ‘healthy Korea’ and culture sharing projects
Participating in Social Relief Scheme for Serious Adverse Drug Reaction
Actively participating in Social Relief Scheme for Serious Adverse Drug Reactions, including paying funds voluntarily
* What is the Social Relief Scheme for Serious Adverse Drug Reactions?
It is a social relief scheme under which compensation, medical fees, etc. are paid to patients who have been seriously affected by side effects as a result of the normal use of medicines.
Work for environmental protection
Being actively involved in the project to collect and dispose of drugs not in use
* What is the project of collecting and disposing of drugs not in use at home?
This project aims to prevent environmental pollution coming from drugs such as antibiotics and hormone drugs, which can have a great impact on the environment, by picking up and appropriately disposing of drugs that are not in use after their expiration date. Environmental protection project to prevent pollution caused by drugs.